Monday, January 26, 2009

Life Plans

Dear Walter,

I’ve been thinking over what I want for you, for your life. A few things have prompted this: I was challenged by something Phillip Jensen said yesterday at the Australia Day Convention about parents often wanting very material things for their children’s future, and I have been wondering about your father’s priorities (and my own!) and how the things we spend our time and effort on sometimes reflect very different things to what we say our priorities are.

When I was in my final year of school I drew up a life plan of all the things I prioritised and the things I wanted to happen in the future. It helped me to stay focused on my studies, but stay grounded at the same time. I haven’t drawn one up since then, but I think it might be a good exercise so I Googled ‘life plan’ and came upon this blog post and following his format this is what I want for you:

Outcomes

God

I would be so happy if when you meet God he welcomes you as a father welcomes a beloved child. I want for you to be able to stand before him knowing that you are saved through the work of his son Jesus.

Spouse (note that’s spouse, not partner, not lover, not boyfriend, not girlfriend. Spouse.)

I want your spouse to see you as their helper, their friend, their best support. I want them to rely upon you for wise counsel. I want them to be able to trust you completely and that you might encourage one another in your faith. I want you to be together for eternity in heaven. I want them to know that you loved them best in the world, after God.

Parents

We will always love you and I hope you will be a child that honours us. I know that there will be temper tantrums, arguments, stubbornness, hurt, as with all children. But I also hope that we will be able to raise you to know and love Jesus as your Lord & Saviour. That would be the most wonderful thing that we could hope for you. I hope you submit to our authority when you’re a child, knowing that we punish or rebuke you out of love for you and a desire to see you grow.

Children

I want your children to look up to you as a good example. Not someone who did everything right and never made mistakes, but someone who always loved them and made them a priority. Someone who always made time for fun, for cuddles, for games. I want them to look at your marriage and want something as wonderful as that for themselves. I want them to see you honouring and loving your spouse and feeling secure in their family.

Colleagues

I want your colleagues to see you as hard-working, honest, supportive, humble, servant-hearted. I want you to be a blessing in their lives not just through the work you do but you attitude toward it and them.

Love,

mama



No comments: