Sunday, May 30, 2010

Why you should never google Medical Stuff...

1. If you're not sure what you have and start Googling symptoms you're likely to end up believing you have Meningecoccol, Rabies, or the Plague.

2. If you do know what's wrong with you and you start looking for more information you're really only ever going to find more bad news.

I'm often guilty of the first, and have run to MB with a list of my symptoms and the internet's diagnosis of a life-threatening disease so many times that now, when I'm really sick he looks at me like the girl who cried Meningecoccol one to many times.

Last night I foolishly decided on number 2, and started Googling Endometriosis and IVF. And what was I expecting to find? Endometriosis increases IVF success rate? Endo - 100% guarantee IVF will work for you? Maybe not, but I was still somewhat shocked to find that Endo can reduce egg quality and make IVF less successful. I thought I knew most of what there was to know about the effect of Endo on fertility - adhesions, Endometriomas etc. And I thought that with some surgery, and some IVF my chances of falling pregnant would be back up to semi-normal. It's a blow to find that even if all the Endo is removed, and my ovaries and uterus are freed from being stuck to other organs, that IVF may still fail. Endo really is a nasty, nasty thing to have. They don't know what causes it, they don't know how to fix it, it's a life-long problem and does really, really mean things to your body. All along I've thought it was 'manageable'. Ha! More fool me. You can't 'manage' something as evil as this!

I'm soooo tempted to just get a hysterectomy. Oh wait, sometime a hysterectomy doesn't stop the Endo! You just can't win with this one.

No comments: